Bidding Wars, aka Offer #2
May 23, 2011 3 Comments
A lot transpired this past weekend. First, we managed to survive the end of the world. Phew. Second, we found a new favorite pizza joint, which means Mozzeroni’s has officially fallen into second place. And third, we’ve made an offer on a house, and this one in writing! Of course, in true Bunches style, we didn’t offer on this house like we blogged about last week. No–that would be way too straightforward. And well, we want to keep y’all on your toes. No, we put in an offer on a totally new-to-the-market house. One that we only just saw this past Saturday. Spontaneous, aren’t we?!
Here are the stats:
- Location: Snyder (only a few streets over from the earlier house we liked)
- Square Footage: 2,016
- 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms
- Lot size: 0.19 acres
- Built in 1950
- Two-car attached garage
- Asking price: $214,900
- Days on Market: ONE!
- Our offer: $208,000
I wish I could show you a ton of pictures, but unfortunately my memory card was full after I took only 3, and all of those from the outside. Plus, at the time, I thought for sure that the Carport Castle was the one, so I wasn’t thinking that pictures of this one would be that important. But here’s a shot of part of the outside–this is the original home–an all-brick Cape. To the right in the picture is the addition that houses the family room and master suite upstairs.
To the right of the addition is an attached two-car garage, which is also not original to the home.
That woman in the picture is actually the owner–she let us in the place (the guy is our realtor). Behind the white picket fence is a front porch slash patio. Quaint, huh? To the right of the garage is a fully-fenced yard (the house is on a corner lot, so there’s no backyard, and only a side yard):
We saw a total of four houses on Saturday: 1) this one; 2) the one we made a verbal offer on last week; 3) another option that I’ll be posting about soon; and 4) a smaller home in the same neighborhood with a recent price drop. And since we were serious about the Carport Castle, we brought along Steve, a handyman slash contractor extraordinaire, who frequently does excellent work for Moose. So basically, with Steve in tow, we conducted mini inspections of all 4 homes. And he sort of convinced us that this house was the best deal–it had a new kitchen, dry basement, and with just some updated paint colors and new hardwood floors, it would be move-in ready. We talked it over, hemmed and hawwed a bit, and then called our realtor to make an offer, only to learn that there was already one offer on the house and potentially another offer coming in! Are you kidding?! We’re still in Buffalo, right?!
Long story short–we’ve offered $208,000 and we’re waiting to see what happens. We’re not interested in getting into a bidding war in western New York, so if they don’t want our offer, we’ll walk. If they do, then hooray for us. So we’ll keep you posted on who wins this battle . . .