Half Bath Mood Board
April 3, 2012 1 Comment
So a long time ago, I made this mood board for the half bathroom (see details here):
Needless to say, things have changed a bit. But first, let’s take a step back and check out the half bath from the day we moved in:
And let’s not forget the Superman mirror (so named because of its shape) . . .
We started to take the wallpaper off, which you may remember from here. Of course, like any awful wallpaper that you want to get rid of, of course it was covering up yet ANOTHER wallpaper!
Seriously? Well, as it turns out, I’m not the only one nesting around here–nope, Mr. Bunches has been succumbing to his own instincts of providing for our soon-to-be-bigger family and so he locked himself in the bathroom one day (that’s usually my clue to steer clear–nothing good happens behind a locked bathroom door ;) ) and emerged hours later looking, er, well, let’s just say defeated. Why? Because of this:
And this . . .
Poor Mr. Bunches–he was only able to remove half of the top layer of wallpaper, except for that one spot above where he was able to get down to the original wall (although those stains are the wallpaper glue, so even that didn’t come off). Oh, and remember what used to hang here?
Yep, Superman has fallen. Literally.
And unfortunately, Superman was scarred in the process . . .
Oh well. I wasn’t planning on reusing that mirror anyways. So good riddance, right?! Okay, now that you’re all caught up with what’s going on in our half bath (I know it was killing you to not know), here’s our plan for the future:
- Toilet: Already installed here, but just for poops and giggles (literally), it’s the Jacuzzi Maxima from Lowe’s for $149. With an American Standard upgraded seat for $35.
- Sink: The Kraus 19″ ceramic vessel sink combined with a Kraus faucet. I actually just ordered these this week from Faucet.com–the combo sold for $209, but of course, using coupons and eBates, I’m only paying $194.95. Score yet another one for me!
- Floor Tiles: White Gloss Penny Tile from the Tile Shop. Now, the tile is listed online for $5.59 sf, but I knew that YHL had a coupon code for 10% off (YHL10) if you ordered online, but I was hoping to use the same coupon code at the store. Luckily, there’s a Tile Shop store in Rochester (unfortunately, the one in Buffalo isn’t opening until May and I couldn’t wait that long) and so I traveled the ~50 miles to the store and tried my luck. And boy was I glad I did–when I mentioned the coupon code for 10% off, they looked at me like I had 5 heads. Uh oh. But then the guy offered me 15% off. Um, hello? Yes, please, and thank you! So I only paid $4.75 sf, and since I needed 20 sf, my total was only $95. Not bad, eh?
- Vanity Top: I toyed with the idea of ripping out the entire vanity, but in the end, I just didn’t think it was necessary–like all the cabinetry in our house, my plan is to paint it (go figure). And instead of replacing it, I’ve opted to just get a new vanity top. Now, I thought I could get one from Lowe’s or HD, but as it turns out we needed a custom size (45″ x 25.5″), and their prices were off the charts. So I opted to see if I could find a granite, quartz, or marble remnant that might work. The marble remnants were all spoken for (boo), but I found a gray granite that had a similar look (you can actually see the sample piece in one of the bathroom pics above). I forget the name of the granite, but I’ll try and get that for you. Anyways, it’s ~$55 sf installed and I think it’ll work really nicely with the white sink, white toilet, and likely white cabinets (again, all painting will wait until after Mini Bunches makes an arrival).
- Pendant Lights: We’ve hired a contractor to not only remove the rest of the wallpaper and tile the floor, but also to remove the weirdo light box above the sink. The plan is to replace it with two pendant lights–I’m not 100% sold on these ones from Shades of Light, but I’m definitely leaning in that direction. They are the Mercury Glass Bulb Pendants for $79 each.
- Mirror? Taking suggestions . . .
- Walls? I have to admit–I’m at a loss for what to do on the walls. I’d love to do a funky wallpaper, but I’m also game for trying my hand at stenciling (not grandma stenciling, but more along these lines:
Both images from here.
So there you have it . . . what do you think? Have any suggestions? Ideas for the walls?