April 24, 2013 1 Comment
That post title could go in a few different directions, but let’s head down the G-rated path, shall we? Remember this from a few weeks ago:
Well, what I didn’t tell you then was that not only did I refinish the outside of the desk, but I also added a little special touch to the inside . . .
I added personalized drawer liners using some spray adhesive and Mod Podge. Fun, eh? It only took me maybe a couple hours of Mini B’s naptime, and it was nice to finally use the maps I had been hanging onto from our honeymoon in Spain. How did I do it? Easily.
I first made some templates with plain copy paper of the exact drawer dimensions. Then I laid those out on the maps (which I lightly, and I do mean LIGHTLY, ironed to get out the wrinkles), and used a ruler and exacto knife to cut the maps down to size . . .
I tried to make sure the maps were aligned so as to include areas Mr. Bunches and I visited in our travels. Once they were all cut, I then just used some spray adhesive (sprayed onto the backs of the maps–NOT sprayed directly on the drawers) and smoothed the maps in place on the bottom of each drawer. I used a bone folder to make sure there weren’t any wrinkles and that everything was all smoothness.
Because the maps were made of such thin paper, there were spots, particularly in the water sections of the maps, where you could kind of see the glue. But it was minimal. I let the glue dry for a few hours (with heavy books laying on top) just to make sure it was all good and set. Then I used a foam brush to apply a light coat of Matte Mod Podge on the tops of the maps (just so they would be extra durable). As I had been warned by YHL commenters on this post, I was prepared for the inevitable bubbling that the Mod Podge would (and did) cause:
What had been smooth was now a wrinkly mess. But no fear, I knew that once the Mod Podge dried, all would be smooth in my drawers again (still keeping it G-rated folks) . . .
And there you have it. Just a few hours of drying time (overnight actually), and voila!
And since it’s been almost a month since initiating our new entry way solution, I’m happy to report that it’s been a success! We got our cart in, and it’s been working out great.
Fingers crossed that it continues working out well and wrangling in our mess. And just because, here’s a shot of Mini Bunches on her recent trip to the beach in Florida (more on that soon I hope) . . .